Information Center: 2004
This article assesses the changing nature of the contemporary political economy of Equatorial Guinea. It provides an overview of the complex and dynamic web of elite rent-generation and explores the extent to which the development of an oil industry has contributed to a monoculture of accumulation. It is concluded that, despite the oil windfall, other, ‘illicit’, modes of elite rent-generation persist and have even intensified.
An overview of the political and economic situation in Equatorial Guinea, with emphasis on the country's lack of social development despite its incredible wealth.
This article outlines the rise of Equatorial Guinea as one of Africa’s leading oilproducing countries and investigates the political, economic and social effects of becoming a petro-state. The article is based on the author’s field research in Equatorial Guinea in the autumn of 2003 and interviews with senior oil company staff, government officials and staff of international organizations as well as secondary sources. This research demonstrates how reliance on oil and gas exports can lead to profound changes in a country’s political economy.
Study of resistance to anti-tuberculosis drugs in five districts of Equatorial Guinea: rates, risk factors, genotyping of gene mutations and molecular epidemiology
A study conducted in five districts in Equatorial Guinea, March 1999 to February 2001, to determine tuberculosis drug resistance among new and previously treated cases, the risk factors associated with resistance, and the mutations associated with isoniazid and rifampicin (katG, inhA and rpoB genes) resistance, and to genotype resistant strains.
Latest News About EG
Publishing Date: 2004
- A P Davis; E Flgueiredo (1)
- Benigno Borikó (1)
- Benita Sampedro Vizcaya (2)
- Enric Miro, Joan Salvat, Muntsa TarreÌs, Lluis Jene, Maria Josep Tubella, Ricard Belis, Ferran Pratt, Agusti Poch, Meritxell Ribas (1)
- G Tudo et al. (1)
- G Tudo; J Gonzalez; R Obama; J M Rodriguez; J R Franco; M Espasa; P P Simarro; G Escaramis; C Ascaso; and A Garcia (1)
- Geoffrey Wood (1)
- J P Gonzalez Kirchner (1)
- J Cano, P J Berzosa, J Roche, J M Rubio, E Moyano, A Guerra-Neira, H Brochero, M Mico, M Edu, and A Benito (1)
- James T Lawrence (1)
Publishing Date: all » 2004
- African Affairs, Vol. 103, Issue 413, pp. 547-567 (1)
- Communaute economique des Etats de l'Afrique centrale, and UNICEF (1)
- European Union (1)
- Global Witness (1)
- Government of Equatorial Guinea (3)
- International Monetary Fund (1)
- Multinational Monitor (1)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (2)
- Televisíón de Catalunya, Filmakers Library, inc. (1)
- The International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 15-22 (1)